How Sign Helps Babies Learn Language
Babies are the best little learners. Finding new ways to play and explore the world around them. They often understand much more than they can show or say. Speech develops later because babies have not yet developed the finite muscles to produce sounds. However, that doesn’t mean your baby can’t learn to communicate. It is a perfect time to teach them sign language known as “baby sign”.
5 Ways Baby sign can help you and your baby:
- Fosters language development: Signing helps develop and encourages verbal language development. A child is thought to need to hear (or see!) a word +1000 times before they learn to use that word.
- Multisensory: Babies explore with their entire bodies. Signing provides a visual model, along with your verbal model, for even better learning.
- Decrease frustrations: Provides babies a way to show you what they want before they can say it and helps you meet your child’s needs.
- It’s fun: Your baby loves everything you do!! What a great way to show them how to communicate and play with them. Add silly faces and watch your baby’s enjoyment!!
- Increases interaction: Including sign into your daily communication with baby will aid in parent and child bonding as you learn together how a baby sign can add to your relationship.
If you are interested in learning more about baby signs and how it can help your baby learn language, please tune into our baby sign class online, or call for a free consultation!!
Madeline Connor, Speech-Language Pathologist