Do your kids have the Winter Blues? Once the cold weather hits, it’s easy to make excuses for missing opportunities to get out and play outdoors. But, soon we notice our kiddos in a rut: feeling moodier, not sleeping well, disengaging, increased screen time, etc. However, research shows that physical activity can actually turn these frowns upside down!
WHY IS IT GOOD TO MOVE ANYWAY?!
- Muscle strength
- Problem solving
- Emotional regulation
Here are some suggestions to beat the winter blues and get up and move!
- Yoga (Cosmic kids yoga videos are a top choice!)
- Workout videos (GoNoodle has millions to choose from!)
- Family game night (charades!)
- Animal walks
- Rearrange furniture
- Push/pull laundry basket
- Freeze Dance
- Musical Chairs
- BDI playhouse offers low cost classes
- Local Library (Naperville, Aurora, Orland Park)
- Make a snowman
- Make a snow angel
- Pull someone/something in a sled
- Shovel snow
- Bury your legs in the snow
- Make a snow fort
- Push or pull something through the snow
- Dust the snow off the of the car
- Dig a hole in the snow
- Jump into a pile of snow
- Sweep snow off of the sidewalk
- Have a snowball fight
- Make snowballs and stomp on them
- Make a snow maze
- Carry buckets filled with snow
Don’t let your kiddos succumb to the winter blues! Try out these awesome indoor and outdoor activities! If you feel like your kiddo still can’t beat the blues and might need some help from a therapist, please set up a free screening at BDI Playhouse!
Written by Jamie Blough, COTA/L