Make a Splash at BDI Playhouse with Aquatic Therapy!
Aquatic Therapy is a fun way to develop your child's motor skills. The unique properties of water enhance therapeutic activities. Water provides a reduced gravity environment to help children explore and practice movements and skills they are not yet able to perform on land. Water provides resistance to active movement through all planes of motion, facilitating gains in strength for all major muscle groups. Movement through water provides increased tactile, vestibular, and proprioceptive input that enhances body awareness and motor learning.
Where is the Aquatic Therapy program being held?
Rush-Copley Healthplex:1900 Ogden Avenue Aurora, IL 60504
Life Time Fitness: 16333 S La Grange Rd, Orland Park, IL 60467
Who are the therapists?
BDI Playhouse Children's Therapy's aquatic therapists are licensed physical and occupational therapists with experience in aquatic pediatric therapy. They have attended aquatic therapy courses, and have received certificates in Water Safety and CPR. They utilize aquatic and landbased techniques, including myofascial release, neuro-developmental treatment, sensory motor integration and functional motor skills in their treatment sessions with children who have orthopedic, neurologic and/or sensory motor challenges.
What do I need to bring to my child’s Aquatic Therapy session?
• Towels Lock for locker (optional)
• Bottle of water
• Water diapers or rubber pants (for incontinence)
• Non-skid slippers or water shoes
The Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
• Increase in mobility and range of motion
• Balance and coordination
• Increase in trunk stability and postural alignment
• Perceptual and spatial awareness
• Muscular strength and endurance
• Joint mobility
• Muscle flexibility
• Head & trunk control
• Blood supply to muscles
• Attention span & sensory motor integration
• Respiratory rate
• Symmetry, strength and endurance
• Decrease in pain
• Decrease in muscle spasms
• Decrease in abnormal tone and rigid muscles
• Decrease in joint compression
• Stress and tension release
• The psychological benefits include improved self-esteem, confidence, and motivation!